What is In Reach
The In-Reach project has developed from a one day intervention pilot, to a team from Cwmbwrla Day Centre engaging with wards four days a week.
The team are getting to know and understand the patients on the wards, patients already referred plus potential and future Service users.
The success of the project has produced a steady stream of new referrals to Cwmbwrla Day Centre and encourages service users to take advantage of regular weekly attendance for taster sessions.
We can fill in referral forms on the wards with staff, with the consent of the care manager. We also request referrals electronically, attaching the referral form as a link and the care manger emails back the request. Both methods are more efficient, promoting excellent partnership working and making the process easier for the CMHT's.
Providing a service with such continuity has strengthened working relationships with Cefn Coed Hospital staff. One of our main aims is to challenge negative beliefs with a positive attitude and now the project is a success, we work effectively together. What I would like to see is more Cefn Coed Hospital staff actively thinking about what happens to a client after discharge and becoming more familiar with the services outside the hospital. This would help towards a personal recovery.
We are strengthening working together by;
- Networking with the Occupatonal Therapist's for example on coffee morning, liaising over referrals and supporting clients. Providing our support on Monday and Wednesday's 'talk-a-chino' with the Occupatonal Therapist's.
- Started to provide stimulating activities on the challenging behaviour ward S.This is going well and clients are benefiting from participating, especially as there is no Occupatonal Therapist or psychology input.
- Building up trust and getting to know clients on all wards, means people will be familiar with Cwmbwrla Day Cenrtre staff and less daunted when attending the centre.
- The In- Reach team are part of the PAC meeting where all activity providers meet on a monthly basis. Occupatonal Therapist's, Cefn Coed Hospital staff, physios, volunteers and the In-Reach team. Excellent contacts and we are working together to produce one big timetable for the hospital.
- Becoming familiar with other members of staff at Cwmbwrla Day Cenrtre and demonstrating a small portion of what we have to offer. The client can see how we can aid them on their own path to recovery.
Transport To and From Hospital
Providing a shuttle service to and from the hospital is invaluable. The number of clients, who, after meeting us on the wards and looking at the timetable, use the transport to join us for taster sessions has been a success. We then encourage the client to ask the relevant care manager for a referral or we request a referral. This demonstrates more clients are taking an active interest in their recovery and planning achievable goals.
We fill in risk assessments, history and information sheets on the wards. All information is stored in individual personal files. We record all taster session attendees and once referred we transfer the file to the main filling system.
How We Can Help You Recover
- Simply spending time to engage with individuals enables us to find out how we can help that person on the road to recovery after discharge.
- Supporting the client to make choices, to engage in taster sessions at Cwmbwrla Day Centre and our Create partners to plan a pre-discharge programme.
- Limiting isolation on discharge and to relieve boredom on the wards.
- On the last Wednesday of the month we take people off the wards for a coffee morning which assist in integrating people back into the community.
- Cwmbwrla Day Centre In- Reach team also provide an activity hour and an exercise hour on Tuesday mornings. Clients who are able to leave the wards get together to mix and participate.
- The hearing voices group will started on the 15th July '09 at 6.30pm, promoting and providing support in the community. We hope to forge strong links with the Orchard Clinic. After they attend the CBT group there, clients can then access our service user led group and hopefully interlink with Cefn Coed Hospital and pre- discharge patients.
- We provide taster groups at the hospital and at Cwmbwrla Day Cenrtre, more groups in the community, beginners, intermediate and advanced.
- The Recovery interest group meet every two months to discuss any progress made in each of our areas.
Cwmbwrla Day Services
Tel: 01792 652101
Fax: 01792 645073