The Patients’ Council is based in Cefn Coed Hospital. It is an independent user led, user manages organisation. The aim of the Patients’ Council “is to improve the quality of life for the in-patients at Cefn Coed Hospital.”
This is achieved in many ways including:
- Peer advocacy – taking on issues that concern a number of patients.
- Representation – representing the patient’s views on various committees within the City and County of Swansea.
- Consultation – we consult with patients on various issues.
- Organise social events – discos karaokes. etc.
- Training – we train professionals in mental health awareness etc.-
e.g. South Wales Police
- We can provide training in Self Harm.
- We organise conferences to raise
awareness of issues we feel are
- In house surveys on behalf of
Swansea NHS Trust.
- Organise World Mental Health Day.
- Produce documents e.g. Swansea
Directory of Mental Health Services etc.
- Liaise with the management of Swansea
NHS Trust Mental Health Division on
behalf of the patients.
- Represent service users on the
re-shaping of Swansea Mental Health
- Health Promotion.
- Provide volunteering opportunities.